01 October 2012

Reading Fast



No, I’m not learning to speed read. I like books and reading too much for that. I’m going to take a break from reading for a while. Certainly not because reading is a bad habit I need to let go of -- reading is a very good habit. Writers are readers. However, I used that as an excuse for far too long. I am an information-gatherer. In fact, I would say my compulsion borders on gluttony.  I take in a LOT in and don’t let enough out. 

I WANT to write. I feel the drive and the desire. But then I read more blogs about how to do it. I read more books to give me things to think about so I can write about them. I’ve read Pressfield’s The War of Art, I know what I’m experiencing is that enemy of all creatives -- Resistance.

Do I just write, edit, and hit publish? Or do I polish each word, each sentence, and each paragraph until it blinds you with its dazzling brilliance? Is my post too long? Is it too short? Is it easily scannable? Do I need more or less bullet points or one or two more items in my list?
If I just read a few more posts by my favorite bloggers maybe I’ll finally get it. Maybe I’ll discover my style of blogging.

On someone else’s blog?

If my true desire is to be authentic and real with everything I write and publish, how can I accomplish that by using someone else’s blogging voice?

So. I’m putting an end to it for a while. For 40 days, instead of reading, I’m going to write.*
For now, I’m not going to worry if I’m just writing for myself or if I’m building my Tribe. I’m just going to exercise the writing muscle and see what happens. I’m going to trust the Holy Spirit to begin focusing and leading my writing into something that someone will relate to and be comforted, encouraged, or challenged.

I’m not sure how much of what I write the next 40 days is going to end up here…but here goes nothin' (or is it just the beginning of something?)!

*With two small exceptions: Fiction reading for fun and daily scripture reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment