22 November 2011

Bring Life

My three kids are required to give me a hug before they leave the house. Every time. And 9 times out of 10, I give them a hug and a kiss, say "I love you" and then as they walk out the door they hear, "Have fun. Drive safe. Bring life." (I don't always say it all, I don't have a perfect record. Thank goodness.)

Up until a year or so ago, though, it was "Have fun. Drive safe. Be good." But one Sunday evening at our house church we were once again discussing the differences between the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil and the Tree of Life. God's desire is for us to eat the fruit of the Tree of Life. Even though He's the one who put that other tree in the garden anyway, knowing Adam & Eve wouldn't be able to resist. It was all simply part of His beautiful redemption story.

We are redeemed. I am redeemed. I am free to eat from the Tree of Life anytime I choose. So why do I sometimes still want to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil? (It's all about judgment.) It's that part of me that secretly thinks I could plan things better than Him. That if He'd just do things my way life would be so much EASIER! *sigh* But then I am reminded how grateful I am for an "uneasy" life. For the challenge of living by faith. My constant need (whatever it may be at the time, there's always something) always drives me to Him. And why would I want to live any other way?

After that Sunday night, for the next couple of days every time I said "Be good," to one of my kids it felt as if a knife were turning in my stomach. With the help of the Comforter of course, I finally realized what it was. I don't want my kids to "Be good!" I want them to "Bring life!" I want to constantly remind them to bring life in every situation they face. I want them to purpose to bring life to every person they meet.

When God made His covenant with the Israelites at Moab, Moses commanded them, "This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19 NIV) The Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil is death. Choose life. I choose life that my children and I may live, really live. I choose life so that we can live loving, passionate, purposeful lives — giving generously, hoping fervently, and praying ceaselessly.

So as my children walk out the door, and I call out to them "Bring life," they are reminded of what they were put on this planet to be.

And it's always fun for them to get to explain to whatever friend might be with them that I'm not encouraging them to go out and make babies or anything of the sort. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment