16 November 2011

Like Sands Through the Hourglass....

I have three adult children.

I have to pause and sigh deeply as I re-read that. The time has flown so quickly. I cannot believe they are grown. I began my parenting journey in 1988, with the birth of our oldest son. And in September of this year, 2011, our daughter, the youngest, turned 18. On her birthday, when it hit me that not one of my children would require my signature for anything anymore, I felt a weird sense of completion, accomplishment, and emptiness -- all at once.

Now. I realize that my parenting days aren't really over. Our two boys have both celebrated their Bar Barakah, so we view them as men, but that doesn't mean we no longer parent them, it's just that the dynamic of our relationship has changed. (It's like a Bar Mitzvah, but the Christian version means "Son of the Blessing," instead of "Son of the Law." I may write a blog post about the ceremony in the future.) Our daughter has not yet had her official ceremony ("Bat Barakah" for "Daughter of the Blessing"), but her transition from high school to college has already created quite a shift. Even though all three still live at home, we are a houseful of adults. It's different. It's fun!

I am so blessed by and so proud of our children. They are responsible adults who do their best to "love God and love people." And lest you think I believe I had much to do with that, let me say right now, I cannot imagine trying to rear children without the help of the Holy Spirit, my Savior, and our Loving Father God.

We made mistakes. Lots of them. In my opinion, probably more than lots of other parents. But thank God, He makes up the difference. To this day, I am continually grateful that God laid it on our hearts and provided the circumstances, the push, the resources, and the grace to homeschool our children. I wouldn't trade what I've gained through that experience for all the money, success, or fame in the world.

Our oldest son has a great job and the sweetest girlfriend, who we hope will become more than that someday. ;) And our younger son and our daughter are about to complete their first semester of school at Oral Roberts University. All three are some of my favorite people in the whole world, and some of my best friends.

I. Am. So. Blessed. God is so good. I am so grateful. (And looking forward to grandbabies eventually!)

Where are you in your parenting journey? It's so easy to feel like you're not doing enough sometimes. Remember that God will always make up the difference. Trust Him. He entrusted His children to you for a purpose.









2 comments:

  1. KELLS! So glad you are writing! Love this!!! Please please please post about Bar Barakah. I remember the kids mentioning it and ever since I've always wanted to hear more! Hugs!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right behind you with my oldest getting ready to be an adult. Funny how the 6 of our kids are stair-stepped down in a wide range of ages. I remember being envious when you had all three out of diapers, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete